Thursday, December 4, 2008

For my quick read I chose The Lorax by Dr. Seuss. This was one of my favorite books growing up, it came in a book my sister and I got for Christmas. We used to bring it everywhere with us which is why half of it is missing and it has fallen apart. The Lorax is about the Once-ler, who comes and finds the Truffula trees. He cuts one down to make a Thneed, and out of the stump of the Truffula tree comes the Lorax. The Lorax tells the Once-ler that he can't cut down any more trees, but the Once-ler continues. Eventually all of the inhabitants that depend on the trees have to leave. When the last tree is cut down, the Lorax leaves too, and the Once-ler is left all alone in his factory, in a barren land filled with smog. The Lorax left a stump that said UNLESS. I like this book because it shows that UNLESS people take action, the world is not going to change. You have to take things into your own hands, and remember that your actions have consequences.



No comments: